Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bitter Dish


My boss came to the office a few moments ago announcing he had serious death threats--and the assassins were dead serious, he said. I imagined them like cooks cooking up a bitter dish for big boss. What a place and job to be in. I prayed to God for protection--for big boss et al--and if the cooks and their waiters ever deliver the bitter dish, may they be the first to taste it. They might as well finish the whole thing. I eat bitter melon and some herbs--even hopia soup--but not bitter dishes.

They say hitmen really hit professionally. They may be used to killing, but that does not make them immune to death. They'd get to eat the bitter dish they cooked sooner or later. Even professional chefs are susceptible to burns or cuts, if not in their kitchens then in some other kitchens they're not familiar in. And you're bound sometime in your life to trek on unfamiliar kitchen.

Like that chef in our neighborhood who cooked tofu with onion leaves, celery, and some bitter herb only he knew where to get. He expertly cooked it--with wild black mushrooms and black tawsi--but the problem arouse when a brownout occurred and he didn't know where to get the candles and flashlight. He stumbled in the dark--though it was his house--because he seldom went home there. He had another woman. That was a bitter dish for his wife--and him eventually.

My older brother and uncle love eating anything bitter--bitter gourd, bitter gourd leaves, bitter gall, bitter herbs, bitter-sweet, and bitter nut (or is it betel nut?). They're crazy for it. I'll eat bitter melon (I love the leaves, too) but not the bitter drink they love. It's derived from soaking their used (and perspiration-wet) socks and shirts in water, adding a little raisin and ginger. Yes, something different.

But seriously, I love the brew of ginger ale with raisins and apple bits soaked in it. Keep it a long while--like a month--before drinking it. Better if you sweeten it with wild honey. It will improve any bitter dish you have. And ginger is good for your digestion. So, a bitter dish would be quickly eliminated from your system--and the hopia soup, too.

Anyway,back to the hitmen and the threat against my boss. He told me suspicious men seem to regularly survey their neighborhood, and sometimes others seem to tail behind their car. I told him it was a problem easy to remedy--throw a bitter dish on the suspects' windshield and make sure to drink ginger ale before doing it to protect themselves from the ill effects.

But big boss thought it would just improve the suspects' digestive system and make them healthier. "Then no problem still, boss!" I told him. He asked why. I said: "Eat the bitter dish yourself, then!"

That's when he fired me, and that's when I joined the hitmen.

I told you it was something different.